Updates from Marti

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Hello! I pray that all of my family and friends who are reading this new blog are enjoying their Labor Day weekend right now.

My Job:
I am starting my fourth year teaching at Rancho Buena Vista High School, and it is my fifth year teaching in all. This is also the year I learned that I am officially tenured in the Vista school district, which means I am recognized as a permanent employee. It is exciting for me to teach because I am enjoying my students immensely. Currently, I am teaching ELD 2 again, and now American Literature for 11th graders. In addition to this, I am an advisor for two clubs on campus. The first club is the L.I.L. club, which is a student-led club and each week the leaders teach a different phrase in 9 different languages to the students who attend the meeting. It is a splendid group, and the following picture is taken from last year's International Fair. (I am standing on the left hand side in an Indian salwar kameez - my wonderful Indian parents gave this outfit to me when I went to India a few years ago).



As for the second club, I am the co-advisor for the Tijeras Club. This is a craft club in which students work with jewelry design, sewing and other creative projects. We named the club "Tijeras" because that means "Scissors" in Spanish. We thought that Tijeras Club was much more fitting and attractive name than calling it RBV's "Craft" club. The following picture is a picture of me with my co-advisor, Christina Flores. God placed this wonderful woman's classroom next door to me. She is a strong Catholic, and we meet together afterschool to pray for our students and one another once a week. I am sad because she will only be here at Rancho for one more year, and then she will move to Texas. I can't be too sad since she is moving because she is getting married to a wonderful man named Allen!

In addition, I have two other wonderful coworkers that I must mention. Their names are Ellie McIntosh and Jacquie Fine. In the following pictures, Ellie is on the left and Jacquie is on the right. This is our ELD department because Ellie teaches ELD 3/4, and Jacquie teaches ELD 1. I have learned so much from these two sweet ladies. Ellie and I love to hike outdoors together, and we also love to talk about ways to inspire our students to read (and love it!). As for Jacquie, she is an incredible friend and support as our ELD coordinator.

My Hobby:

I am excited because next week I will be participating in a karate tournament in Bakersfield. I have been out of practice since I was traveling so much this summer, but I shall do my best to prepare for it. I thank God for the opportunity to train because He teaches me discipline, confidence and perservance. The following picture is a little old, but it is last year's tournament. I hope to be able to take new pictures so I can post them on the web for you to see as well.

My Family:

Lastly, but definitely NOT least, is a family update. I am still living at home with my parents, as I save up money in the next two years to buy my own house. My brothers are going to be living in Sun City in a house that they have purchased with my dad. I am excited for them because they want to be able to move out and be on their own. As for my parents, my father is enjoying retirement and he took my mom on a trip to Montana and Washington this summer. My parents have fallen in love with land in Washington, particulary houses that sit along a lake. I think they are seriously thinking about buying a house up there in the next two years.

Recently, I felt very fortunate to have taken my parents out for dinner in celebration of 31 years of marriage. When I asked my dad about any tips he had for me about marriage, he told me that he puts my mom first (and suggested for me to do the same for my future spouse). My mom took a little longer to respond, but she said that people should marry his/her best friend. I thank God for them because I see how God blesses two people who are committed to one another. I see so many people hurting, whether that be from broken homes like the kids at Camp Alandale, or people who experience divorces after years of marriage. One of the neighbors on my street is going through a divorce. She is a mother of two small children, and her husband is leaving her after 10 years of marriage. Over the last few months, I have learned of other people who are going through something similar. This breaks my heart.

With the high divorce rate in this country, I cannot help but feel very sad and discouraged. In addition to all of this is the tragedy of Hurricane Katrina. I pray that we can come together as a country and pour out generously to those suffering in Lousiana and the other states that have been affected. One thing brings me comfort, and that is God's promises in His word.

In Lamentations 3, the prophet Jeremiah declares this about God:

"The thought of my suffering and homelessnes is bitter beyond words.... Yet I dare to hope when I remember this: the unfailing love of the Lord never ends... For the Lord does not abandon forever. Though He brings grief, He also shows compassion according to the greatness of his unfailing love. For He does not enjoy hurting people or causing them sorrow" (19, 21, 31-33).

My Hope:

I thank God that He cares more about those victimized by Hurricane Katrina, or people in persecuted countries, than I could ever imagine. I shall pray that He molds my heart to give more generously with my heart, gifts, money and time to those in need.

I thank God for all of you that pray for me, and who encourage me when I feel sad. Please keep me updated so I may know how to pray for you as well.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:02 PM, Blogger Joel and Shoba said…

    Wow! It is great to read what is going on with you. I have to say, our blog pales in comparison to your in depth entries! Miss you tons and look forward to seeing you in the upcoming year. Many blessings from us here in Boston.

    (Shobes)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home